September 12, 2011

How To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Crock Pot

If you're anything like me, the thought of preparing, let alone even touching, raw chicken, can be terrifying. I much prefer just to buy the pre-gutted/washed/trimmed version of my favorite meat, that was, until I tried this recipe for cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot. I threw the bad boy in my crock pot before my youngest son's baseball practice yesterday afternoon. I let it cook for about 5 hours, then shredded it and stored it in a Rubbermaid container in the fridge for those chicken tacos that I mentioned. You could also use it for chicken salad sandwiches, casseroles, chicken enchiladas, BBQ chicken; anything, really, that calls for chicken.
 
Okay so, enough about that! Let's get to cooking. I've created a little step-by-step photo tutorial in hopes that it makes it a tad easier for those who might be a little squeamish when it comes to raw chicken. I promise, you'll only be touching it for a few seconds.

 

The Best Crock Pot Whole Chicken
Recipe adapted via 100 Days of Real Food

Ingredients: 
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 onion
1 large chicken

Directions:
1. Rinse your chicken under cool water. Remove any giblets (or, buy one without them like I did). Pat dry.
2. Chop up an onion. Place the pieces in the bottom of the crock pot. 
3. Combine your spices: 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
4. Coat the chicken evenly with the spice mixture. Place on top of the onions. Cook on high for 5 hours. Chicken will be fall-off-the-bone delicious. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I probably do this once a month! Makes life so easy. I'll make chicken salad for me to eat at lunch also. Give this recipe a try.....

    1. Roll shredded chicken up in a crescent roll. Put in 9x13 pyrex dish.
    2. On stove top, combine 1 can cream of chicken, 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of cheese. Pour over rolled up chicken/crescent rollups.
    3. Bake at 350 for 20 mins or so.

    Easy and yummy!! My hubs and son love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this next week! Whole chickens freak me out a little, but I guess it's worth the price and all the chicken you get from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this recipe i think it is a must do soon for me i have the slow cooker going on at home right now and was needing more recipes this looks great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come and tell you...I found this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to try it. I don't eat meat and I don't like to handle meat, but my husband and kids are total carnivores so I figured this would be worth a shot. The four of them ate almost the entire chicken and could not stop talking about how good it was!!! {And my kids are PICKY.} So....THANK YOU for the recipe! I'll probably do this every week :)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs